Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Plagiocephaly


That is what Addie has. 'Crooked head'. She is going to be wearing one of those helmets that will re-shape her head. It's a little lopsided on one side. Her skull bones aren't closed up yet, which is good, so it was just a placement issue. I really think it is because we didn't have that little clip thing on the seatbelt for the first 3 months and so her carseat was tilted up one way. Who knows though. We noticed at a few months old and we did everything we could to keep her off of that one side. Bumbo, laid her down on her other side, put the clip on the car seat, and soooo much tummy time. (I think that is why she crawled way before our other kids.) But nothing worked. It's not super noticeable unless you're looking straight down at the top of her head. But we want her to have a normalish head shape when she is older. She has to wear it for 6-8 weeks, the doctors said. My sister Sinika had one for her little boy so I kind of know what to expect. But his was a solid color and Addie's is going to be clear plastic. That was the only kind they had for Addie. I've seen other babies with the clear kind on and you can see their little hair all sweaty and stuck to their head. That is going to be Addie. :( I'm going to miss her little fuzzy soft head! We just got her head cast into a mold today. She didn't really enjoy it so much. I couldn't take any pictures because I had to hold her arms so she couldn't grab at her head. It's going to take about 2 weeks for us to get it. I asked if most babies cry for a few days or so to get used to them when they first start wearing them and they said usually for the first few hours they cry about it and then the first night when they go to sleep they cry for a while because they have to get used to sleeping on something so hard. Oh, it's so sad for little babies! Anyway if you see her in the next few months she might look all sweaty and uncomfortable but after, hopefully, she'll have a nice round head!
Here is a picture of the view from above. Boy that's a hard shot to get! She just wanted to look up at me and she loves the camera so she had to see what I was doing. In this pic she is looking right at Ben, so you can see how one side in the back is weird shaped.

7 comments:

sinika said...

I forgot to ask you if they gave you one of the, "My Sister Has a Crooked Head" books like they gave us? (Except it said my brother....)

lindsey v said...

No, they didn't give us any books.

Rena said...

It'll be over before you know it! Kids are so resilient arent they?

Clayton & Kayley Anderson said...

Oh, poor Addie! That's too bad she has to wear that.

Chelsea said...

Awww, poor little girl, maybe we can do something to make it cute. I am sure we could fiqure something out.

G-Dawg and the Fam said...

Poor Addie! At least now that she's crawling, if she bumps into things she won't hurt her head! Maybe it'll go so fast that it will almost be sad that life's flying by so quick. Good luck!

G-Dawg and the Fam said...

Crap! That last comment was Ginger. I need to change my username back!