Thursday, October 30, 2008

Speaking of scary...

The two scariest movies I have ever seen (and I haven't seen very many) are "Watcher In the Woods" and "The Changeling". I wonder if they just hold that title in my mind because I was pretty young when I first watched them and each time that I watched them later they just reminded me of how scared I was the first time. I have watched them both several times since and maybe that is why I remember them more than, say, Poltergeist which I also watched when I was young and remember that it scared me but I've never watched it again. So maybe these are the two scariest movies that I have ever watched over and over again.

I know I am a baby. Watcher In the Woods is a Disney movie. But it just had that scary woman in it, Bette Davis, and the girl that Jan kept seeing in mirrors, and the creepy things her little sister did. Scared me to bits.

The first time I saw The Changeling I was 11 years old. This is not to be confused with the new movie Changeling that is just coming out. This movie was made in 1980 and it has George C. Scott as the main character. It's about a house that is haunted by a little boy. I was sleeping over with a group of girls at my friend Loralie's house and I swear I had nightmares all night. I didn't sleep well at all and I kept hearing men laughing and talking loudly in the room and I felt like I was awake and I could see them standing by the door. But then I would wake up and realize that it was quiet and everyone else was asleep. How could they sleep?! They were all the same age as me! We were so little to be watching such a scary show! So I would lie there shaking from fear and not being able to fall back asleep. Well, I guess I liked that feeling of fear because every few years during my adolescence I would rent it again and introduce it to a new group of people. Then as an adult I think I rented it thinking, now I am grown up, it probably wasn't that scary, I know what happens in the movie, I know how it ends, I can watch it without getting scared. WRONG! It's just as scary now. The only thing that's different now as an adult is that I understand the plot better. When I would rent it in high school, it just said 'not rated' on the box. I heard recently that now it says 'rated R' . They changed it. I guess they realized that 11 year olds are too young to be watching such things.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!

6 comments:

Tammy said...

Lindsey those are probably the two scariest movies I've ever seen too!!!!! I still hate going into bathrooms at night if they have a bathtub because I'm afraid if I glance over I will see a little boy in it!!! And I hate music boxes because remember one popped open in the end of the show! CREEPY!! So, I also won't watch either of those shows now. But I think I'm afraid if I do watch it they will be dumb and that might ruin the memories I have of it being so scary.

P.S. I volunteered in the class today and saw Ben's spooky shirt. Very cool!

Clayton & Kayley Anderson said...

The two scariest movies I watched were Rose Red and It by Stephen King. They were kind of stupid, but I was still jumpy afterward.

Nielson said...

I used to LOVE scary movies (although I still have nightmares about Freddy Krueger...) but I can't watch any now--I guess I've grown into a wimp...I'll just stick to Sesame Street with Bridger... :)

Tamara with a "T" said...

I am so scared to watch scary movies...I won't do it anymore. I hate the way I feel when it's over...all jumpity and I always think someone will grab my leg from under the bed...

Janette said...

Those are two of the scariest movies I've seen, too--even as an adult. Well, I haven't had the guts to watch The Changeling as an adult, but I tried watching Watcher in the Woods as an adult and it still freaked me out. Very creepy movies.

Kaarina said...

Oh my gosh, "Watcher in the Woods" freaks me out! I remember watching it as a kid and having nightmares! So funny, ah memories...