Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Personal history. May be boring to persons who are not me.

The earliest memory that I can think of is a time that was so quiet in my house and I was just lying on my stomach on the floor just staring at dust flying through some sun rays that went to the floor. It was so quiet. I am guessing that all the older kids were at school and maybe my little sister Sinika was taking a nap or something so that would make me 4 or 3. I also remember a time when I snuck a cookie and my older sister Michelle chased me around the house for a while to try to put the cookie back. When I was tired out and cornered, I took a bite. She stopped chasing. I was probably about that same age.

I guess that's the earliest I can go. I remember when I was in a neighborhood joyschool preschool and it was at the Lindhart's house two houses away from mine. Everyone was putting their hands in red paint and stamping it onto a paper with a cute little poem about how we will grow up but someday our little handprint will be missed. I know that's what it said because I always saw my next door neighbor Aleesha's hanging on her wall for years later after that and I read it then. Anyway, I wouldn't do the handprint. The teacher said that my mom would really like it. No. She tried several times but, no. I just didn't want to do it. I can remember that so clearly that surely I should have more memories of when I was that age but I guess everything else blends in with my family life and so I can't distiguish how old I was.

I remember my Kindergarten assessment. I was so shy that I wouldn't even talk to the teacher. I guess they kind of need to see what you know during the assessment and see if you can even speak English. Mrs. Jacobsen said that if I didn't talk then I wouldn't be able to come to Kindergarten. But I guess they let me start. On my first day, I went with my next door neighbor, Aleesha. I walked right in with her and sat down next to her on the carpet ready for the first day. The only problem was that she was in the other class. I had just followed her right into her class. When they did roll call, they had each person stand up when their name was called. When they called "Lindsey?" Two girls stood up. Me and another girl. I can still remember her face exactly. We just stared at each other. Her name is Lindsey too? But I'm the only Lindsey. They asked which one had this certain last name and it wasn't me. Soon after, we heard in the next room (there was only a partial wall between the classrooms) the teacher call "Lindsey? Lindsey?" The other Kindergarten teacher took me over and put me into the right class. We had the funnest toys in that class. A little wooden kitchen with little dishes and a stroller with dolls. So fun for playing house. I wonder if the teacher brought in all those toys herself, cause that's not what they have in my kids' Kindergarten nowadays. I'm not sure if it was the first day or one of the next days, I came home so excited saying, "I talked to the teacher!" I remember singing the alphabet and singing the months of the year in that classroom.

I've always been able to remember every teacher that I had in elementary school. I could rattle them off in order whenever called upon to do so. Maybe I'll try and remember something about each grade that I was in for future posts. Stay tuned. Or tune out.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

This was a fun post and now I know a little part of you :)

Times are so different now for our kids than when we grew up. I think about some of the things that stand out in my mind from my childhood and I wonder what I do now for my kids that they will remember so vividly someday too.

I love the story about you being in the wrong class! Can you imagine that happening with your own kids? Never!

Tamara with a "T" said...

You have a really good memory. I can't remember a whole lot about nothin. In fact, I can't remember what happened last week. I think I have a short term memory. Or long term memory...what huh?

rachel said...

I totally remember the wood toys in my kindergarten class too, weird. Maybe it was a Jordan school district thing. Why aren't there toys in kindergarten anymore? Things are so serious now!