Sunday, January 25, 2009

Meet my pet Chias


Yes, aren't they adorable? I know! I am loving my little guys like they were my real pets. Okay so I might have a slight Little Red Hen Syndrome with these things.
Over the last year Ben had said every few weeks or so, "Mommy, I really want a ch-ch-ch-chia pet!" So somehow Santa found out and decided to bring one for Ben and Elli. But then when it came time to soak the seeds and to spread the seeds, no one wanted anything to do with them. They came with clear plastic trays to set them in while growing, but you know how it is on Christmas day, anything cardboard or clear plastic-y gets thrown out. So we had to use our own dishes. Anyway, I ended up soaking the seeds, spreading the seeds, and watering them several times a day. And then when they started sprouting... WOW! I cannot even tell you the satisfaction that I was feeling. The pure joy of bringing a tiny seed to life is just overwhelming. Oh sure, the kids thought it was neat for about 2.7 minutes total, spread out over 3 to 4 days. And yes, Elli did spray them lovingly with the spray bottle two times. But I got the real satisfaction out of all of it. It has been an amazing journey.
Okay... I lied. There was no satisfaction in this process. These have to be the stupidest thing ever! Tell Santa to bring something of equal value instead of these. Maybe if they grew a flower or a vegetable they would be worth something. I don't even know what to do with them. Do you just let them grow for a year? Do you pull off all the growth and start again? (The seed packet contains more than one growth.) They just take up space and look sort of odd with faces coming out of the tiny leaves. Now don't think that I am anti-plant. I love plants. Just take a look around my house and you will see that. What I am is anti-growing-sprouts-in-strange-shapes-that-take-up-lots-of-counter-space plants. I don't even know if I have the strength to do a second growth.

7 comments:

Tammy said...

Hilarious! Nathan wanted a ch-ch-ch-chia pet Scooby Doo for Christmas but Mike wouldn't do it. Yours turned out very nice! I've never owned one so I don't know what you do next.

Last spring we ordered caterpillars through the mail. They came with everything they needed. That was a fun project you could think about trying.

sinika said...

Ha! LOve your new background though...

Nielson said...

The only difference between you and the little red hen is the hen gets to eat warm homemade bread--do you get to eat the "chia"? :)

Jessi said...

Yeah, they're pretty spooky. But, job well done!

My kid are looking at your pictures on the sidebar yelling, "It's Ben Ballegooie!" (That's what they call him, and it's ALWAYS his whole name- well, their version of it.) he has fans, for sure!

rachel said...

I have a chia bart simpson sitting on my counter right now... I feel your pain!

Kaarina said...

You are the only person I have ever known that has actually gotten one of those to grow! Impressive - kind of creepy with their little faces, but impressive nontheless!

Tamara with a "T" said...

You bought those? ha ha ha I didn't know that people really bought them! Love the pics :)