Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Not the plague

I'm FINALLY getting better from that horrible cold. I am so glad. Elli always gets the sicknesses first in our family. She gets them from school. I asked her over the weekend,
"Does your class wash hands before lunch?" and she said,
"No."
"Does your class use hand sanitizer?"
"No."
She had a small bottle of hand sanitizer hooked onto her backpack but if she forgot to use it before she left her class room then it was too late. So I told her that now we have to clip it onto the belt loop on her pants so that if she is in line for lunch or even sitting down to eat then she can still have it with her to use it if she forgets until the last minute. How mean am I? Making my daughter WEAR a bottle of hand sanitizer!! She's fine with it though. She even remembers if I forget. She'll grab it and clip it on. It's crazy that they don't make kids wash hands before lunch. Maybe they do in other classrooms that have sinks but Elli is in the portable classroom and there is no running water. I know that they talk about germs and ways to prevent them. I have gotten papers that they (Elli and Ben) have gotten about the subject. So you'd think that they'd really force the hand washing.

So to all the people that I have, or my kids have, spread this to:
1- I am sooo sorry. And
2- It takes about 10 days to go through your system. But it feels like longer.

6 comments:

Clayton & Kayley Anderson said...

Good to hear that it's gone! And I don't think you're mean for making her wear hand sanitizer, I kept mine in my purse all through high school, it was most convenient. :)

Tammy said...

The first thing that came to my mind when I read your post was a story I heard a few years ago about kids being poisoned after using too much hand sanitizer and licking their hands. I know Elli is old enough to know better but it's still funny that you make her clip it to her belt. Here's the link for the story I thought of . . .
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/sanitizer.asp

Paula said...

Hey! I stumbled upon you blog. Your fam is adorable! Elli is radiant as ever. I miss that little girl. She comes to see me every now and again! Hugs to you all.

P.S. We use sanitizer everyday. I have seen far too many nose pickers in my days. :)

lindsey v said...

Hi Paula, Elli was lucky to have the most amazing teacher last year! :) In more ways than one. But I do remember seeing the kids line up to use sanitizer so I guess I thought all the teachers did that. (I do love her teacher this year too, of course)

Tammy, I'm not a HUGE fan of hand sanitizer, I'd much rather have my kids wash hands with soap and water, but when Elli brings a new sickness home EVERY week then I realize that it's definitely better than nothing.

admin. said...

I am a big germ-a-fobe I have my kids and Hubby "trained" to wash their hands the FIRST thing when we walk into the house and when we get in the car from a store we all wash our hands (carts are yucky).
When my B went to preschool I took a huge bottle of hand sanitizer as a "gift" for the class. (that was before the news stories) And by the end of the year it was still full. they just arent very big on hand washing. YUCK!! I wash my hands so much, my hands are dry and my Dr told me I wash them too much. (not possible)

Elisabeth said...

Ugh! Today at parent teacher confrence I asked their teacher if they needed hand sanitizer? She looked at me like uh?...maybe I'll invest in a huge bottle for the classroom. I asked Drew the same question, if they used sanitizer at all. I'm going to clip one to his backpack and tell him to use it a few times during the day at least. First thing he does when he gets home is to wash those hands.

I hope I don't have your cold. That sounded horrible. Glad you are on the mend. Andrew did have strep last week. Now I'm sick. I thought I escaped it. I don't have strep, at least I don't think. It feels like a head cold turning into sinus infection. Perfect timing.