Wednesday, March 4, 2009

How does it end?

I have a sickness. It's called, "I have to read the last page of a book before I get to the end of the book". I know, it's horrible. I try to stop but I just can't help myself. I always try to not think of it until I get to the middle of the book and I hold the two halves between my fingers and eyeball it to see if I'm at the middle of the book. But then I have to just see how many pages the book has so that I can see if I'm in the exact middle. (Who doesn't do that?) So I flip my way to the last page and I tell myself I'm not going to look at any of the words. Just the page number. So I find the last page, look at the number and then proceed to glance down at the words just a little. Then I continue to read all the while telling myself,
"Stop reading.
Stop reading.
Stop reading."
Until I reach the end of the page.
It usually let's me know, who the person is with, where they are, or who just died.
Sometimes it's relieving, sometimes shocking, and sometimes I'm just mad at myself. But it cannot be stopped. My mind has tricked myself too many times with this. I can't trust it. Maybe I should just stick to eyeballing it.

Usually after I have done this and I go back to the page that I am on, I look at the page number and realize the real reason for looking at the last page and I find that I forgot what the last page number was and so I have to look at the last page again to look at the number and divide it in half. Then I finally know if I'm in the middle. (I'm usually not quite to the middle yet.)

6 comments:

Naoma said...

You are hillarious... How do you get yourself to read the rest of the book once you read the end? You sure make me laugh!

Tamara with a "T" said...

I CAN'T BELEIVE YOU!!! I would never ever do this. Doesn't it ruin the book for you? Haa aaa uhhh...you make me laugh...HARD.

Brynn said...

If I had any good books, I would lend them to you with the last page ripped out. Then you couldn't peek. I never make it to the end anyway, so it wouldn't matter. I would save it of course and give it to you when you get to the end.
You're funny.

Jessi said...

No way!!! I do the SAME THING! Before I even start a book, I go through and read a page here, a paragraph there, and always a snippet from the last page. Then, while I'm reading, I try to see if I can figure out what I'd read already. I think that's the way geniuses read books. :)

Nielson said...

You are too funny! I have to admit that I do that too--not all the time--just in really suspenseful books. Usually I can never get that much information--it just makes me feel happy inside to have the inside scoop!

Kaarina said...

You are so funny. I read the last page when I am totally bored with a book and can't decide if I should keep reading it! Your approach is much more entertaining!