Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Big softie

I have been known to have America's light rock favorites programmed in my car. I am not ashamed to admit it. It's for those times when I let the ipod battery die (which is more often than I would like) (and "let" doesn't mean that I wanted it to happen) (it just means that I forgot to charge it). I can't just have silence. What am I going to do with all that quiet? Think? Meditation is just not my thing. So it's time to turn on the radio. I can never just leave my radio on one station, I have to constantly move through my six buttons to make sure that I have the least annoying song to listen to. When that goes to commercial or just starts playing a really bad song, I need to see what else is out there on the radio waves.

I could never just leave the station that plays soft hits from the 70's 80's and 90's on permanently because I don't like most of what they play. But you just never know when you're going to come upon a gem like Total Eclipse of the Heart (Bonnie Tyler) or Say You, Say Me (Lionel Ritchie). It's pure luck when I get to have Heart singing their hearts out in my car to These Dreams. I melt into a puddle of heaven when I hear Phil Collins singing Against All Odds or In The Air Tonight. I squeal with joy when I can listen to OMD's If You Leave, REO Speedwagon's Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore, or Chicago's You're the Inspiration (let's face it, any Chicago song will do).

I'm pretty sure that you will agree with me when I say that these songs are gems. Beautiful, glittery gems that sometimes blind you when the sun hits them just right. I wish that they played all of these songs in a row, but it is not to be. I must leave the station as soon as the next song comes on and then just take my chances another day, another time. It's like playing the lottery. Sometimes I lose, sometimes I win big time.

But it's during these times when I find the last half of a Thompson Twins song or an Air Supply song that I remember, Ahhh, yes. This is the very reason that I keep button number 5. I like me some soft hits sometimes.

7 comments:

Tammy said...

When you get TiVo you should also consider XM Satellite for your car! Then you can find a commercial free station that plays all these gems (and I think they are gems too).

Cheeseboy said...

Oh brother. Do me a favor and NEVER let your iPod battery die.

Jessi said...

They ARE gems, and they are gems because you have to work and wait for them. I will be late for any appointment or have the kids yelling at me that they are ready to go into the store while I listen. NO, I will not leave a gem to sparkle without me! I'm glad to find another fellow psycho shuffler who isn't satisfied with, well, anything but the "best!"

Soda Springs Idaho Home For Sale said...

You're so funny, your blog makes me laugh. I love the older songs too. Remember the episode of Seinfeld where the guy goes into a trance everytime he hears the song "Desperado" that's how I am when I hear "Dream Weaver by Gary Wright or Forever Young by Alphaville"

lindsey v said...

Whatever Abe. You know you love these songs.

Tammy said...

Dick Clark said music is the soundtrack of your life and I totally believe it. Like Vera, I go into a trance with a flashback every time I hear "Forever Young" or any of the songs you mentioned! They take me back to days when life was so easy and I only had to worry about me and what my locker combination was.

Kaarina said...

Oh my gosh....we so love the same things! Jeff makes fun of me all the time, but gosh, I do, love, love those songs...sigh.