Thursday, September 3, 2009

Guess what's weird?

When I talk to myself when no one else is around at the store or at home (doesn't everyone do that?) I speak in German. Is that crazy?

Ja, Ich bin ein koo-koo kopf.

Okay, I'm pretty sure koo-koo isn't a German word but it fits.

I don't even realize that I'm doing it. Just if I'm by myself, the words come out in German. And it's not just when I talk to myself out loud. I think German in my head too. It's just very basic sentences like, Where is that? I can't find it. or We are ready to go. or How many do I need to get?

I really wish that I could think in Finnish like that but it never happens. If I ever try to say a sentence in Finnish and I don't know one word, that word also shows up German. Darn that German! Get out of my head! Leave room for some other languages!

For example, I'm learning the days of the week in Finnish. So then I try to say, "Today is Thursday" and I want to say if very fluently so I hurry and say:

[German "Heute ist /Torstai." Finnish]

Darggh!

Does anyone else ever think in another language?

8 comments:

Nielson said...

very interesting... I have to say that I never think in other languages. But sometimes I think in music notes. I am always playing scales with my fingers and going through the notes in my head. Jeremy always notices my fingers tapping--he probably thinks I'm strange... :)

sinika said...

I only think in Finnish when I'm talking to the baby or my big boys. Must be from Mom talking to us. I never knew you had a German thought process.... And I'm still jealous of your foreign language skills!

Clayton & Kayley Anderson said...

How do you know how to speak German? That is totally funny! Sometimes I throw Spanish into everyday conversation. haha

Tammy said...

I didn't know you could speak German. I've heard that's one of the harder languages to learn!

I do it with sign language. Especially if I'm somewhere like a restaurant and the waitress comes just as I've put food in my mouth. I'll answer with a sign and then realize what I've done.

Jessi said...

Sometimes I think in French, but only weirdos actually talk to themselves in a different language! Cool, smart weirdos! :)

Tagen and Eric said...

Yeah, I dream in Czech.

Cassie said...

um... English kicks my trash, therefore, other languages are out of the question.

Tamara with a "T" said...

Linds, I love you. I don't think or dream in another language, but I type everything I hear and say...like there's a typewriter in front of me. Is that wierd? Im always trying to get faster and faster at typing.