Brian's friend has a cousin who lives in our neighborhood. I have seen their name on several other blog lists. I have looked at his wife's blog and a few times shown Brian. "This is the cousin of so-and-so." She is a good photographer and her pictures are fun to look at.
Anyway, we were at the park this past summer. This other couple happened to be there with their kids. I pretended not to know who they were since we've never met and she has no idea who I am. I am sitting on a park bench near the other girl who is swinging her child. Brian recognizes the guy and goes over to talk to him. They talk about the person they know in common. Then I hear Brian saying, "Yeah, my wife reads your wife's blog all the time. "
Melt away into the wood chips
The guy says, "Who does?"
Brian: "My wife" and points at me with the finger of death. They both look at me.
Cease to exist
Here I am. Right near someone who doesn't know me and my husband outs me. OUTS ME! (Let's just clear it up right now that I don't read it "ALL THE TIME" either. "Occasionally" is the word.) I sound like an obsessed stalker. I just sit quietly and hope that the other girl didn't hear that too. But I'm pretty sure she hears it. She's not too far from me. I try and think of a way to talk to her and explain myself.
Finally I have my lines worked out and I look over and a neighbor of the girl has just arrived and they are now talking. I can't interrupt a friendly conversation with my crazy confession. After a while of waiting, it's time to leave. Time to slink away like the shadow I wish I was. We leave as fast as my short legs can carry me. Hopefully I will never see them again but, being in the same neighborhood, it's bound to happen. Maybe I can explain myself then.
On the way home I tell Brian, "Please never again tell someone that I read their blog "ALL THE TIME". He just doesn't know. He doesn't read any blogs. He doesn't even read my blog. He doesn't know the rules. "I can tell someone that I read their blog. But you cannot tell them when I am sitting there pretending that I have never seen them before in my life."
10 comments:
Been there! There's really no correct way to react in that situation. Pretending that I am a deaf mute works well for me. :o)
That is the conundrum of the blogging world. There are a few ladies that I read here in LV and I always wonder what would happen if I ran into them. Would I run up and introduce myself like a crazed fan, or just pretend I didn't know them but secretly be jumping inside? Pretty interesting. Blogging celebrities.
Ha Ha Ha! That's why mine is private :) You might have read this when I did a blog post but I have several neighbors that have blogs that I look at but they don't know that I do it so I feel like I'm intruding into their lives even though they have it out there for everyone to see.
We all do it :)
You make me laugh. I waste time reading strangers blogs too. You flattered the girl anyway.
Bad husband! That is too funny, but I agree--I bet she was flattered. :)
Awww don't feel bad. If they are public blogs then, well people have to assume they are gonna get looked at. Just the way it is. I'm going to remind Dale of the rules. Just in case though;)
ps. she probably reads yours.
Baaaa haaaa haaaa...I wish I could've seen it all play out, that would've been fun. Love ya!
I don't even want to know what kind of weirdos I have never met read my blog.
This story is hilarious and just to be fair, if I ever recognized you at the park, I would probably force you to talk to me. You are just too funny not to talk to.
It is such a strange thing - meeting people you have only seen online.
Husbands. They just don't get it sometimes. I can't believe he outed you like that! ;)
I love reading other blogs and seeing who is on blog lists to see if I know anyone else who I could read up on!
So true. Which is why I don't read people's blogs who i see on a regular basis (who i don't know super well). When i do see them, i feel weird & awkward knowing things they don't know that I know, and I'm afraid i'm just going to get nervous and eventually blurt something out: "YOU HAD A HERNIA."
I am flattered when I know someone has read my blog, though it's a tad unnerving, only because I have to be extra careful not to a) totally quote my blog word-for-word when [re]telling a story, and b) not use the same joke i used on my blog. One time I overheard a stranger re-tell a joke/comment (that was funny the first time) to another person and man, nothing could have been lamer.
the end.
Post a Comment