Saturday, January 9, 2010

I hope I've learned a thing or two since then

I like corn Chex cereal. I even like all the generic brands of it. Once when I was 10 or 11, I was eating a generic brand - let's call them corn squares - and I came across a good sized beetle in my partially eaten bowl. Dead, covered in corn dust. Did I show my parents or send a letter to the company who made them? No. You don't even want to know what I did. But I'll tell you. I dumped the rest of my bowl down the sink and filled myself a new bowl - from the same box -and ate away happily.

Ew.

What we learn from this story: 10 - 11 year olds are not very wise.

Another time, I was probably 10 or 11 again, I was supposed to mow the lawn. I got the mower ready, started it up, and headed onto the grass going over a big pile of hose. As I was on top of the hose, I realized, hmm, I probably shouldn't be on top of the hose. So I backed off and as I did hose went flying everywhere. My step-dad could not understand how I didn't realize that you don't push the mower over hoses.

What we learn from this story: 10 - 11 year olds don't have much common sense. If you need something done that requires common sense - don't ask someone of this age to do it.

Maybe I was just a rare slow-brained child. Maybe others of you would never do the things I did. If there are such thing as smart 10 year olds, then I sure hope my kids have a little more intelligence than I did.

By the way, I still eat corn Chex. But I have to throw out any pieces that I find in my bowl that have any black on them even if it is just a piece that got a little to close to the heat. You just never know.

8 comments:

Cheeseboy said...

Are you sure the beetle wasn't just the "prize" in the box?

Naoma said...

Hilarious... You do funny things as a kid so funny that you poured yourself another bowl but that is probably what I would have done at that age too. =)

Soda Springs Idaho Home For Sale said...

That's so funny!!

Tammy said...

Ewww about the beetle! My mom grew up by a Del Monte factory and she has some terrible stories.

Funny about the hose!

Even scarier than your common sense stories are how many 10-11 year olds are BABYSITTING! I can't imagine living my children with someone so young but I know my friends babysat when they were that age.

Brynn said...

Ew! I just threw up in my mouth. And you ate another bowl...

sinika said...

So yesterday I left a comment, but it didn't post I guess? But when I was 10 or 11 I remember babysitting and thinking that I didn't know what to do with this screaming baby who was throwing up all over the place. Note to self- never hire 10/11 year olds to watch my kids!!!

Melissa said...

You are so dang funny!! I love your blog. It always gives me a good laugh!!

hf said...

I love it! Maybe common sense is just something kids don't develop until later. I know of a few instances when I didn't have much myself. Even just a few days ago...