Friday, April 18, 2008

Ah, nostalgia...

One show I wish they still played re-runs of is... Punky Brewster. I know, I know, I remember in 5th grade it was sooo uncool to like that show. I remember it was 5th grade because we had a program one night and we were getting ready for it and 'Mary' said kind of whiningly, "I want to be home so I can watch Punky Brewster!" and 'Loralie' gave a kind of look like, "Wow, she is so childish." and I gave her a look back like, "I know, can you believe she watches that silly show?" but really what I was thinking was, "Note to self: do not let anyone know that you love that show and watch it everyday." Anyway, I always crave watching it. I think about all the fun times they had in their super cool treehouse in the backyard, Cherie and Margo and that boy (?). Some of the things that stick out in my mind are: the very first episode where she climbs into an abandoned apartment and is dancing to "She's a maniac" and Henry finds her and takes her in, the one where Cherie hides in an old refrigerator when playing hide and seek and gets stuck and almost dies. They had a warning at the end of that episode that said, "Never close yourself into a refrigerator or you may not be able to get out and you could die if your temperature gets low enough." or something like that. I was always afraid of the door closing on me after that even though now I realize that nowaday fridges don't lock and you could just push it open easily if you were inside. I also remember the one where Punky needed her first bra. And then I remember when she was possibly going to be adopted by a rich family but she just didn't fit in eating oysters and such. It seemed like the series ended abruptly. Maybe that's why I have issues with it. I didn't ever get my fill on it. I was always wanting more. It seems like they play re-runs of so many shows, why not that one? Do they have it on DVD? I guess I need to check it out. I wonder if they thought they would start a new fashion trend with the bandanas on the legs. It just never took off. Well at least I never saw it. (Except for Halloween.) Maybe in certain schools where crazy fads went in and out really fast. But it just wasn't practical. You had to tie those things in knots and then untie them (not fun) each time you wore them and maybe when you went to the bathroom they would slide down the legs and you would have to readjust them for hours after. Well, I bet the bandana retailers weren't as happy as they would have been had it gone crazy in style. Anyway, if anyone knows about any certain 'box set that would make me happy', let me know.

5 comments:

Kent and Julie said...

Lindsey - you are so funny!! You come up with such cute thoughts & ideas to put on your blog!! I am pretty sure it is on DVD. I think my sister in law has it! I remember watching it when i was little - good times!!

Chelsea said...

Thats so funny!! Hey, love your new blog design!! It fits you perfectly.

sinika said...

Punky. Wasn't it so weird seeing her all grown up and gorgeous on Friends later on? Loved the show too.

lindsey v said...

Holy cow! I looked on youtube and it totally has clips of the show. So fun!

I know, she is so pretty grown up.

Brynn said...

Linds,
I remember the oyster episode. I think it was a "to be continued..." I don't really remember the end either. I love that show.