Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Anteeksi, puhutteko suomea?

I'm trying to teach myself Finnish. I'm trying to study my book/CD set every day. I have 3 sets of aunts and uncles coming to visit this Friday! (They are staying at my mom's house, not mine.) So of course, I can't do anything unless it's last minute, so I just started this week. He, he. They will be here for 2 weeks. I know I'm probably not going to be able to hold a conversation with any of them with my last minute studying but I'm hoping that maybe I'll be able to guess a very small portion of what they are talking about. My title above is from my book and it says, "Excuse me, do you speak Finnish?" When really I should be learning how to say, "Excuse me, do you speak English? Because I won't be able to communicate if one of us doesn't." Oh my goodness! Why haven't I been studying for the 10 years of my adult life? I have always known that I have family who doesn't speak English, why have I not put all my efforts into learning their language so that I can hold a conversation with them? I'll probably do my best learning after they are gone. It's like when someone comes over unexpectedly and my house is a mess. I'm so embarrassed, that when they leave I clean everything up the way it should have looked before they came, but by then it's too late. Voi, voi, voi! (Oh dear!)

9 comments:

Knudson Family said...

ooh! How fun...I bet your Mom is so excited! Good luck on the Finnish and take lots of pictures!

Jessi said...

Cleaning AFTER people leave?? Are we twins or something? That is so hilarious! And good job learning Finnish. I'm sure they'll appreciate your efforts- just say what you HAVE learned. I took 6 years of French and recently spent a weekend with people from France but I wouldn't say a word of French because I was too embarrassed and now I regret it. Anyway, sorry for the long comment, I just think it's so cool that you're doing that.

Clayton & Kayley Anderson said...

Good luck with that! I couldn't even learn Spanish.

Soda Springs Idaho Home For Sale said...

That's so great that you and your kids will get to see some family from Finland. I loved your comment about the house. I usually try to keep the house clean, but its hard with 4 kids and it never fails that someone will drop in when its a pig-sty. At least we try...

Tamara with a "T" said...

Oh Linds...I feel the same way...but it's Spanish that I should be learning and speaking with my family. I am going to start studying because you just gave me the desire...oh...and the house thing...don't you hate it when that happens?

admin. said...

Boy Im glad you are learning Finnish, by the title of your blog I thought you had a diagnosis of sorts. All that medical terms are like a foreign language. Im glad it was a foreign language and no one is sick.

Tagen and Eric said...

Linds you are funny. You sound just like your brother. Your family is so dang smart I am sure you will do just fine.

Naoma said...

You lawya make me laugh... Good for you trying to learn Finnish, you are better than me! I wouldn't even attempt the feat! I love that you clean the house after.. so do I, glad that it isn't just me!

Esmi said...

You knew a lot of finnish words! Soon you speak finnish just great