I don't know if I've just been too busy or just super lazy but I haven't felt like journaling lately. My Finnish relatives came late on Friday night. Saturday we went to my mom's and had a dinner with everyone. I got a little choked up when I first saw everyone! I can't believe it has been 15 years since I've seen them. That is WAY too long. I was 16 when I went there last and the last time one of my aunts and uncles came here to America was 20 years ago. (One of my cousins, Maija, who is not here this trip, came for a summer 10 years ago.)
On Sunday we had a mini Thanksgiving dinner to show them what we eat during that holiday.
Here is my uncle Eero, his wife Ilmi and my aunt Marketta (my mom's only sister). In the back is my step-dad and my sister Lisa and Troy. Every once in a while everyone pulls out their cameras and we all take pictures of each other.
On Monday all the Finnish girls (Essi, Maarit, Marketta, and Ilmi) and me and my mom and my sister Sinika (and our kids) went to the mall to go shopping. All the guys (Seppo, Eero, Kalevi and my step-dad) went to a tool store and then out to eat lunch at Golden Corral. I would love to have been there and seen how that all went down because all my uncles speak ZERO English and my step-dad speaks ZERO Finnish. Ha ha! I just wonder how he explained to them that you go back again and again to fill up your plate. Hee hee.
Then, Tuesday me and my kids went again to my mom's house after dinner to visit. My sister Lisa was leaving then next day so I wanted to see her one last time before she left.
It's been really fun to hang out with everyone. Essi speaks English very well and my Aunt Ilmi speaks pretty good so we can figure out ways to communicate. I have said anything that I could when I have known the Finnish words for it thanks to my neighbor Jessi who just told me to "DO IT". :) And we always have the 'sanakirja' handy. (dictionary)
Today my mom and all the Finns started driving down to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon and a few southern Utah sites. So my kids can get better sleep for a few days until they get back. Then it's back to visiting every night! I love it!
Today my mom and all the Finns started driving down to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon and a few southern Utah sites. So my kids can get better sleep for a few days until they get back. Then it's back to visiting every night! I love it!
8 comments:
You guys are so lucky that you have that culture as a major part of your family. I'm jealous! It sounds like your visit has been wonderful. I hope they have fun seeing all the sights. We live so close to the grand canyon, but I've never been there. Well have fun!!! Love V.
Oh, I saw Lisa in the pictures, (Hi Lisa) does she have a blog? Or does Ari?
That is so funny I was thinking the two same things, does lisa have a blog and I have never been to the grandcanyon. Wow you would think that we are sisters or something hey V.
Back on subject, it looks like so much fun, hanging out every night, yes its hard with little ones, but its only for such a short time that they are here. Have Fun!
I think that must be so fun to see all of your relatives! What a big trip--I would be taking a lot of pictures too! And I am impressed by your Finnish skills--I'm still learning pig latin myself :)
Vera and Loni, we are working on Lisa, Ari, and Michelle getting blogs. So far they aren't interested. We'll keep on trying. The only siblings that blog are me, Sinika, and Eric.
Soo cool your relatives came to visit...I bet your mom is so excited, have fun visiting with them!
I would have loved to have gone to Golden Corral with the men. I bet it was funny. I remember when Eric and I went to Finland and I spoke zero Finnish. Kalevi and I were sitting on the bench trying to talk to each other and both of us just started to laugh.
I can't wait to get there in a few days.
Yay! I'm famous now!:) I'm so glad you had so much fun. How cool for your kids to see their relatives and see them speak a cool, different language. Continue in your Finnish fun!!
Post a Comment