Monday, March 15, 2010

Lucky Sunday

You know when people speak in church and there are no announcements and the songs are super short and the speakers end up having 45 minutes to fill? And you just think, oh man, I am glad I'm not them. Well yesterday it was the complete opposite when it was our turn to speak.

A counselor gave some ward business, then the bishop gave some ward business, then the stake presidency counselor released a bishopric counselor and called a new one. Then the old and new counselor gave their testimonies. Then there was a youth speaker. Then it was my turn. I didn't have to worry about shortening or longening it. (I know that's not a word but I don't care.) My talk was a little shorter than it should have been to begin with but it didn't matter by then. Then there was a family musical number. Then it was finally Brian's turn. There was only 5 minutes left! It was seriously the luckiest day to speak ever. All the people in the congregation with short attention spans were just riveted to all the movement and change going on.

The only unlucky part was that, being 5 months pregnant, I had to go to the bathroom soooo bad and there was no holding it, so I had to leave the stand during the youth speaker and speed-walk down the hall and back and I barely made it back in time for my turn and so I was out of breath right when I got up to speak. A little embarrassing. But, again, more entertainment for the people watching. (Note to self: do not drink water before church when you are going to speak.)

It was hard for Brian to have to cut his talk down to 5 minutes but his worst fear, in giving a talk, is having 15 minutes left over after finishing his talk so he was in heaven. (Church building heaven. That's not the real heaven. Just the heaven that you are in when you're at church.)

15 comments:

)en said...

ha ha. i was going to say.. really? that's heaven for him? :D

Congrats!! I am amazed by your ability to a) have a brood of children and b) not be totally lame and stale. There, i said it. No offense to all the moms out there. I only have one tiny chubster and i have never felt more stale.. so i'm only offending myself, really.

High five!

)en said...

my comment is totally jerky.

what i meant was, i think you're funny & i lol'ed at "longening."

Clayton & Kayley Anderson said...

I didn't know you are pregnant! Congratulations! Do you know if it's a boy or a girl?
That's awesome, only having to speak for 5 minutes. :o) They still haven't asked me to speak in the Univ. Ward since I've been back. Kind of glad! haha

Brynn said...

5 mo prego! I had no idea. Congrats. And yes. That does sound like the best day to give a talk.

Cheeseboy said...

I have to speak on Sunday. May God have as much mercy on my soul as he did on yours.

Knudson Family said...

Congrats on being prego lindsey!

sinika said...

For sure you needed to drink water- otherwise you would have had the dreaded cotton mouth- you know the one, the audience could hear every little cottony creep. Yikes. I just wish I could see you doing the walk- run down the hall!

Soda Springs Idaho Home For Sale said...

Congrats Lindsey...I'm so excited for you!!

Nielson said...

I agree with Sinika :) You did get lucky--now you're off the hook for at least 2 years, right??? :)

lindsey v said...

Thanks everyone! Baby boy due July 9thish.

And Jen, you are totally not stale so high five right back.

Abe, have a fun long week with that nice pit in your stomach. (At least that's what I have when I am supposed to be writing a talk all week but instead I wait until Saturday every time.) You're probably good at writing and giving talks though, right?

Cheeseboy said...

Yes, I have been told so, but I think that is only because I make everyone laugh - not because I am at all spiritual.

Jessi said...

Ah, so THAT'S what happened. It's even funnier than I had imagined!!! ha ha ha ha!!! You guys did great!

Kenzy said...

Congrats!!! I had no idea that you were expecting. Thank heavens for blogs or I would have no idea what was happening in peoples lives. :) I'm so excited for you!!!

hf said...

Lindsey, I didn't even notice you left and came back...and I was paying attention too! Loved your talks!!

Tammy said...

You're going to have the "perfect" family :) Two boys and two girls. How fun!